- Have Syracuse University I.D. number and insurance information available.
- Call 315.443.8000 (at this time, drop-in services and Patient Portal scheduling are not available).
- Barnes Center staff will complete a triage process to determine level of care needed and location of care provided. A limited number of same-day appointments are available.
The Barnes Center at The Arch supports trans, gender non-binary, questioning gender identity and those interested in learning about and considering gender transition (medically and surgically) through an integrative and holistic approach. Medical services are provided by Karen Nardella, MD, health care medical director, Marilyn Niland MS FNP-BC, nurse practitioner, and Jessica DeMauro PA-C, physician assistant.
- Training, continuation and monitoring of hormone injections for those with a pre-existing prescription and care plan. (Please schedule an appointment prior to the start or continuation of injections.)
- Gender affirming care.
- General wellness exams.
- Initiation of gender affirming hormones.
- Mental Health services.
- Nutritional counseling for hormone therapy.
- Official letters and documentation of name and gender (e.g. passports, driver licenses and more).
- Gender affirming health and wellness supplies available within and for order through the Pharmacy. (Samples are available for fitting prior to order. Please contact the Pharmacy for more information.)
- Referrals to affirming resources on and off campus as needed.
Syracuse University students have the opportunity to update their personal information, such as their preferred name and personal pronouns within MySlice. This is an optional task that students may update throughout their time at Syracuse University. For additional information, please visit the Pronouns Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage.
Preferred names are names that may be chosen to be used instead of legal names. Please follow these steps to select your preferred name in MySlice. Once students submit their preferred name it will appear on their Syracuse University email, Orange Success account, Degree Works, MySlice class and grade rosters, Blackboard, Handshake, Wellness Portal and Patient Portal.
Personal pronouns are the way individuals refer to each other in the third person. Please follow these steps to change pronouns in MySlice. Currently if you do not see the pronouns that you identify with, there is not a way to create your own option; please feel free to send an email with your pronouns to PGPNAC@syr.edu and it will be reviewed and discussed by the Pronoun, Gender Preferred Name Advisory Council (PGPNAC).
Please visit the LGBTQ Resource Center website if you have further questions or want to learn more about gender identity and personal pronouns.
CNY American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
For more information, please visit the CNY American Civil Liberties Union website.
For more information, please visit the CNY Pride website.
Syracuse University LGBTQ Resource Center
For more information, please visit the Syracuse University LGBTQ Resource Center website.
The Transgender Alliance of CNY
For more information, please visit the Transgender Alliance of CNY website.