Part 1.3d Facility-Focused Policies

The following policies pertain to issues involving the residential facilities. Please review the Housing Terms and Conditions for more information on air conditioning, refrigerators, appliances, cooking, furniture, keys, pools/hot tubs, porches and stairways, storage of personal belongings, and trash and recyclables.

Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 8viii. In addition, all electrical appliances must be unplugged at semester break. Refrigerators found closed/in use during semester break closing checks may be opened and unplugged. Prohibited items discovered at that time may result in a conduct referral. University-provided full-size refrigerators in South Campus apartments are not included in this policy.

Construction or installation of partitions, alterations, and/or additions to the housing unit are prohibited. This includes the following:

  • the addition/changing of locks;
  • painting of walls, ceiling, or University-provided furnishings;
  • installation of antennas, wiring, cabling, satellite dishes.

Students are also encouraged to review the Using Devices on the Campus Networks page to learn about supported devices and devices not permitted on the campus network.

SL recommends that students in all housing locations purchase appliances that have an automatic shut-off feature.

Student Living encourages students to decorate their room and apartment to make it their home away from home. However, for the safety of the community, the following are not permitted:

  • Tapestries, posters, and other decorations may not cover electrical outlets, lights, lamps, and ceilings.
  • All decorations must be at least 2 feet from the ceiling area and at least 10 feet from an exit.
  • Use only one major appliance or electronic device per wall socket and use only UL-approved grounded surge protectors with a built-in circuit breaker for multiple electrical needs. Surge protectors are to be limited to one per socket. Do not “daisy chain” multiple surge protectors together. Extension cords of any length are prohibited.
  • Electric scooters and e-bikes are prohibited inside residential facilities.
  • Live decorations, including trees, are not permitted in either student rooms or public areas.
  • The amount of decorative material(s) shall not exceed 50% of the door area on which it is placed.
  • No decorative materials may be placed on hallway walls.
  • Decorative materials may not hang down over doorway openings or protrude from wall/door surfaces.
  • No decorative material(s), including lights or light strands, may be placed and/or attached to any sprinkler piping, sprinkler head, light bulbs or other lighting fixtures, smoke detectors, or curtains.
  • No more than two 50-foot strands of lights shall be connected per room.
  • The power supply for all lighting should come directly from outlets or power strips.
  • All lighting must be UL (Underwriters Laboratories) or NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) approved.
  • No lighting may be placed around doorways or exits.
  • No lighting may come from open flames (i.e., candles, oil lamps, etc.).
  • Decorative light strands may not be wrapped around the railings in two-story South Campus apartments.

The University’s Fire and Life Safety Services department reserves the right to remove any decorative material(s) and lighting that they believe jeopardizes the safety of residents or is a violation of New York State Code.

  • All residents must immediately evacuate the premises in response to a fire alarm and follow the directives of University personnel and/or the Syracuse Fire Department. The number of occupants of a room/apartment for purposes of socializing or visitation is not to exceed Occupancy Limits identified in these policies.
  • Arrangement of room furnishings is not to impede expedient egress from living spaces.

Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 8vi.

Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 8ix.

How to Request a Spare Key

  • Instructions for how to request a spare key will be at the residence hall main desk and on the SL webpage. Depending on the hour of the day, students will either request assistance from their main desk or the Residence Advisor on-call.
  • Students must be prepared to show identification.
  • There is no charge for a spare key.
  • Spare keys not returned within 24 hours will result in a lock core change and the student’s Bursar account billed accordingly.
  • If a student needs a lockout key longer than 24 hours due to extenuating circumstances, they are to contact the Residence Director and/or Residence Hall Operations Coordinator in their building.

  • Students must go to the Goldstein Student Center, Suite 210, for assistance with keys. The Housing, Meal Plan, and ID Card Services staff will assist residents in acquiring a spare key. Students will need to show identification. During the academic year, the office is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Summer hours may vary. If the Housing Office in the Goldstein Student Center is closed, follow the instructions for after 5 p.m./weekends below.
  • After 5 p.m., Monday – Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday (during the academic year) and whenever the Housing Office in the Goldstein Student Center is closed, students must contact the Department of Public Safety to obtain entrance into their apartment.
  • Students must be prepared to show identification.

Open flames inside and around campus residential facilities is prohibited.

Use or possession of candles or incense is prohibited. For religious observations, candles and/or incense may be used in public areas designated by staff with constant vigilance by the student user (please connect with your RD for additional detail). All candles discovered in plain view in a student’s room/apartment will be confiscated and discarded. Students who possess candles to be used for religious observance are to store them out of sight to avoid confiscation.

Smudging is permitted within the Indigenous Living Learning Community under the following conditions to comply with requirements from New York State Fire Prevention and Control:

  • The Residence Director will take the lead to establish all connections and discussions.
  • The Residence Director will work with the Native Student Program and Assistant Director to establish three times during the semester smudging is approved to occur ( August move-in, fall semester mid-terms, and January move-in).
  • The Residence Director/LLC advisor will purchase smudging supplies from an approved vendor (to be coordinated with Barnes Center) and supplies will be stored in the office of the Residence Director.
  • A Fire and Life Safety Services (FLSS) Officer, a Resident Advisor, Residence  Director, and LLC faculty/staff member must be present for smudging to occur.

The Residence Director for the Indigenous Living Learning Community will schedule the smudging day and time in coordination with students and FLSS. The full smudging policy  is available online.

Parking and Transportation Services specifically prohibits parking on lawns, sidewalks, landscaped areas, and in front of driveways, doorways, steps, and emergency zones. Vehicles may not block traffic or prohibit the passage of vehicles or pedestrians. For South Campus apartments: vehicles may not be driven or parked on the lawns, whether in front of or behind apartments or on recreational areas, or in front of or on walkways.

Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 10vi and extends their prohibition to include residence halls in addition to the South Campus apartment area.

Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 10iv.

Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) and University departments may request that flyers/posters be placed in the residence halls to promote an initiative, program, or event. SL strives to foster an educational environment in and around our residential communities and wants to support these initiatives. The guidelines are specific for reasons of safety and security and the need to maintain an environment conducive to the pursuit of learning:

  • All posted materials must specify the date, time, place, name of the sponsoring organization of the event or program, and organization contact name, email or webpage where questions or concerns regarding the program, event, or initiative as well as accommodation requests can be directed. Materials that do not contain this information will not be accepted.
  • Events at which alcoholic beverages will be served will not be publicized.
  • All materials must conform to the policies and procedures of Syracuse University and Student Living.
  • Materials may not exceed 11” x 18” in size.
  • Materials for RSOs must first be approved by Student Engagement RSO staff as part of the program planning process. Upon the organization consultant’s approval, the flyer or poster will be stamped with the Recognized Student Organization (RSO) stamp. Flyers/posters can then be duplicated. (University departments do not need to have their materials reviewed by Student Engagement prior to delivery to SL.)
  • Flyers/posters are to be delivered as detailed below to Student Living offices at least ten (10) business days prior to the event. Materials received after that date may not be posted in time to afford students sufficient notice of the event.
  • A total of 144 flyers/posters can be provided for the north campus residence halls. They are to be counted out, divided by hall with the name of the hall written on the top of each group, and delivered to Student Living, 111 Waverly Ave., Ste. 200. The counts accepted per residence hall are as follows:
  • LocationCountLocationCount
    Ernie Davis10Skyhalls^10
    Haven/Washington Arms/Walnut/206 Walnut Place20Waverly Office1
  • ^ Skyhalls: a total of 9 flyers/posters can be provided to South Campus and the Skyhalls. They are to be delivered to Student Living, Goldstein Student Center, Ste. 206.
  • Posted materials (flyers, posters, etc.) hung in the residence halls without prior permission of Student Living will be removed and disposed of.

    RSOs and University departments may request to place lawn signs outside of residence halls to promote a program or event. Approved requests should be submitted using the form on the Student Living website. Approved requests must adhere to the following to ensure safety and attractive appearance of our facilities and entranceways:

    • RSOs and University departments must provide their own signs for placement into the ground;
    • Signs should be placed on the lawn as close to the sidewalk as possible near the residence hall;
    • Signs may not overhang sidewalks as they may not impede traffic;
    • Signs are not permitted on any flower beds, bushes, or mulched areas;
    • RSOs and University departments may not remove any other lawn signs in place;
    • RSOs and University department representatives must be respectful of the residential living environment when placing signs;
    • All lawn signs must specify the date, time, place, name of sponsoring organization of the event or program, and an organization contact name, email, or webpage where questions or concerns regarding the program/event as well as accommodation requests can be directed;
    • RSOs and departments may have no more than one (1) sign placed per residence hall;

    All signs must be removed by the date identified in the approval letter, typically within 2 days of the program/event.

    The hand distribution of advertisements (handbills) in the residence halls and South Campus apartments is prohibited. Placing materials on or under residence hall room doors is strictly prohibited.

    RSOs and University departments are prohibited from hanging banners in or outside of the residence halls and South Campus apartments.

    Student Living does not permit tabling in the residence halls by RSO’s, University departments, or outside organizations. Tabling in the dining centers (a less labor-intensive and much more efficient means of reaching students) can be arranged by contacting Food Services at 315.443.3608.

    Recognized Student Organizations can request the opportunity to conduct collection drives in the residence halls by completing this form. It is recommended that the RSO contact Student Living at least two to three weeks in advance of their planned collection dates. RSOs will be required to submit all publicity that will be used to publicize the drive to Student Living for approval. Drives are restricted to a maximum length of two weeks. Only one drive may occur at a time when intended collected items conflict.

    • Students are not permitted on residence hall or apartment roofs or window ledges at any time.
    • Window screens may not be removed for any reason.
    • Items may not be thrown, dropped, hung, poured, or propelled from windows.
    • Climbing or repelling on any residential facility is prohibited.
    • University-provided furnishings are to remain in the student’s living space at all times.
    • University-provided lounge/common space furniture should remain in their designated locations.
    • Non-emergency use of emergency exits, including ground-/first-floor windows in student rooms, is prohibited and will result in referral to the University’s student conduct system.
    • External doors and stairway doors may not be propped open.

    Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 8x. The prohibition of flammable substances and fuel includes engines/motors, motorcycles, gasoline, butane, propane, charcoal, and fireworks.

    Use of filming equipment can be disruptive to the residential community. High-heat lighting equipment can adversely impact fire safety equipment. Therefore, any filming/video production for coursework must be pre-approved by SL. Students must complete a Theatrical/Filming Productions in Residential Facilities Request and include a copy of the syllabus and instructions from faculty for the assignment. Use of weapons or props with appearance of weapons in the residence halls for theatrical/filming productions must also receive permission from the Department of Public Safety in addition to Student Living. Requests should be submitted a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the date of requested filming.

    Student Living adopts the language in the Terms and Conditions, Part 9iii and 10iii.