Finding a place to live off-campus can be both an exciting and stressful experience. The Apartment and Off-Campus Student Living team is here to help and has organized the following supportive resources. For additional information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team.
- Find multiple properties that meet needs such as budget. Students are encouraged to use the Syracuse University Off-Campus Housing search website, as at the time of listing properties are checked to ensure they have not received City of Syracuse code violations, that within the last three years properties have received an internal and external site inspection by City of Syracuse Code Enforcement and more.
- Schedule a time to meet with the property manager/landlord to view the property.
- Document the condition of the property, both interior and exterior.
- Check that all safety mechanisms are in working order. Items to check include the following.
- Windows open, close and lock.
- Doors lock.
- Interior and exterior lighting works.
- Sidewalk and stairs are well-maintained.
- There are clear fire escape routes.
- Ask about utilities and if any are included in rent.
- Does the property have enough space for you and any roommates to sleep and study adequately?
- Make note how far it is to the nearest bus stop if you will need to utilize public transportation.
- Ask who is responsible for any yard maintenance and snow shoveling.
- Ask how maintenance requests are made.
The City of Syracuse has several different neighborhoods, each with their own identity. The Neighborhoods in Syracuse webpage offers descriptions.
- Outer Comstock Neighborhood Association
- Southeast University Neighborhood Association (SEUNA)
- University Hill
- Westcott East Neighborhood Association (Westcott Neighborhood Association)
One of the more challenging aspects of searching for an off-campus property is keeping track which ones you have reviewed, what their features and amenities are, and how they compare to other properties.
To help make this process simpler, Student Living has developed an online tool where you can enter information about a property and supply your email address. Once the form is submitted, it will autoreply with a copy of your submission. The benefit of this tool is that it will provide you with a consistent format of information as you review your options. Having this information in your email also makes it easier to share the information with your family if they are helping you to explore and narrow down your options.
Off-Campus Housing Search Website
Student Living and Off-Campus Partners have worked together to provide a comprehensive website that provides students the opportunity to search for off-campus housing properties and roommates.
At time of listing, properties on the Syracuse University Off-Campus Housing Search website have been checked by Student Living to:
- confirm rental ability;
- ensure no pending City of Syracuse code violations;
- have proper rental Occupancy Certificates on file;
- ensure that within the last three years, properties have received an internal and external site inspection by City of Syracuse Code Enforcement.
Inclusion of any property, manager or landlord in the off-campus housing search site (housing.offcampus.syr.edu) does not constitute, and shall not be construed or reported as (1) an endorsement or approval by Syracuse University or Off Campus Partners of the landlord, its properties or its business practices, or (2) a warranty or representation by Syracuse University or Off Campus Partners as to the quality, safety or other features of such property and/or its owners or management agent(s). Syracuse University and Off Campus Partners expressly disclaim any and all responsibility for any problems that may arise with regard to such property or rental units, or with regard to disputes between landlords and tenants concerning such property or rental units. All prospective tenants are encouraged to exercise their own good judgment when evaluating a prospective rental unit or landlord.