Barnes Center at The Arch Celebrates 2 Millionth Recreation Visitor

Hitting another record milestone, the Barnes Center at The Arch welcomed its 2 millionth visitor to the recreation and fitness area during the first few weeks of 2024. Opening in fall 2019, the Barnes Center remains a campus staple for students and the Orange community.

The Barnes Center Drives Student Wellness

As the hub for student wellness, the Barnes Center features programs, services and offerings that promote holistic health and well-being, all in one accessible, centralized space on campus. The health and wellness team encompasses health care, counseling, health promotion and recreation.

“We’re very excited to have reached our 2 millionth visitor milestone. Our health and wellness team is dedicated to providing an unsurpassed student experience that prioritizes integrated care within a welcoming, inclusive, respectful and supportive environment. In all spaces we promote learning, connecting and thriving,” shares Matthew Hackett, Barnes Center at The Arch director of recreation. “Hosting 2 million visitors is a physical representation of our staff’s dedication to supporting student health and wellness.”

Offering a variety of student-focused health and wellness resources, services and programs, at the Barnes Center all are encouraged and empowered to “Be Well” in their own unique, ever-evolving wellness journey. This holistic wellness approach encompasses mind, body, spirit and community.

Exploring Recreation and Fitness Opportunities

From very experienced to no experience, the Barnes Center recreation and fitness spaces offer countless offerings fitting for unique preferences, wellness goals and schedules. Fitness classes like Vinyasa Flow, The Strength Zone and Cycle50 foster a fun group environment guided by professionals and at no additional cost for students. The climbing wall supports unique challenges for those seeking to reach new heights. There is even an esports gaming room and outdoor adventure trips each semester.

A Barnes Center fitness class

“We understand that when looking to try out new spaces or activities, individuals may be hesitant or unsure about where to begin or how to get started,” explains Hackett. “From fitness floor staff, group fitness instructors, personal trainers, outdoor adventure guides and more, students with questions about how to begin tackling their goals are encouraged to connect with our dedicated team in-person, by calling or emailing the Barnes Center. We’re here to answer any questions and support each unique wellness journey.”

Additional highlights include spaces to study and connect with friends, in addition to the student-named cafe, Otto’s Juice Box, providing delicious smoothies and snacks to replenish the mind and body.

Student Experience Highlights

The Barnes Center’s 2 millionth visitor to the recreation and fitness center is a testament to its importance on campus. The space will undoubtedly continue to attract new and returning visitors alike. In celebration of the 2 millionth visitor milestone, students partaking in the recreation and fitness spaces were asked to share their experiences:

“It lets me stay fit while I’m in college,” says Gabbie McCafferty ’26. “There are lots of opportunities for classes to stay fit even if you don’t know what you want to do.”

“It’s so open and so big. I feel like I can really do whatever I want, whatever workout I’m into and there’s so many options for what I can do here,” says Abby Cohen ’27. “It’s an inclusive environment and I don’t feel like I’m being judged by anybody here.”

“I like coming because I like to play basketball. When I want some mini-nutrition, I come to Otto’s Juice Box,” says Ariel Lewis ’25.

The campus community is encouraged to explore a variety of recreation offerings on the Barnes Center at The Arch website and Wellness Portal, by calling 315.443.8000, emailing BarnesCenter@syr.edu and visiting the Guest Services Desk in-person.

This story was written by Student Experience communications intern Madison Manczko ’24, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.