Student Health Insurance

Matriculated Full-Time Students

All full-time, matriculated students are required to demonstrate proof of qualifying health insurance coverage. Through the Syracuse University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), eligible students have access to comprehensive health care coverage. To enroll or waive the SHIP, students should complete the health insurance decision form on MySlice by the published deadline.

For more information about the health insurance plan and to access frequently asked questions, please visit the Student Health Insurance website.

Matriculated Part-Time Students, Non-Matriculated Students, Students on Optional Practical Training and Visiting Scholars

The following individuals are NOT subject to the University health insurance requirement.

    • Students who are in their last semester of study and allowed to be registered part-time
    • Non-matriculated students (SU Abroad Exchange Students, Humphrey Fellows)
    • Students applying for or approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    • Visiting scholars in J-1 Professor, Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar, Specialist or Student Intern Status

Three policies are recommended for acceptable coverage:

Please note, these policies do not meet the qualifying coverage standards for full-time matriculated students and therefore, will not waive the Student Health Insurance Plan.

It is strongly advised that you do not have a lapse in coverage. If your current coverage expires before arrival, sign up for new coverage as soon as possible, even if you will not be in the U.S. until a later date. You should never have a lapse in coverage, even when you are out of the country.

If you have questions, you may contact Syracuse University Student Health Insurance Office.

  • J-1 visa holders are required by regulation to maintain health insurance at minimum levels, including medical evacuation and repatriation.
  • F-1 international students are strongly encouraged to maintain adequate health insurance while they remain in the U.S.

If your health insurance policy does not include coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation, you may purchase a supplementary insurance through the BETiNS International Health and Travel Insurance (formerly ISP) Website.  Plans options  begin at $40 annually or $23 semi-annually.

Property Insurance

Millions of dollars are lost every year due to property theft, accidental damage, fire, water, vandalism, etc. Palmer Student Programs can help protect your property and ensure that you will be able to continue your studies in the unfortunate event a personal belonging is damaged or lost. All personal belongings will be covered, including but not limited to: cell phone, laptop, tablet, PC, bikes, books, clothes, jewelry, musical instruments and more!