Syracuse University’s Native Student Program supports the transition to college for students who are members of state and federally recognized Native American tribes. Located at 113 Euclid Avenue, it serves as a “home-away-from-home” for Native students and a gathering place for those who are interested in exploring Native American culture and history.
- A Supportive Community
- A Celebration of Heritage
- History of the Native Student Program
“Being of the Navajo and Crow Tribes and growing up on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico, it has been difficult adjusting to a college that is 2,000 miles away from home. Attending a prestigious university such as Syracuse, I have found my place in the Native Student Program. I have met students and faculty from Native American Tribal affiliations that share the same love for frybread as I do.” – Michael Buffalo ’16, Navajo, Crow
A Supportive Community
- The program includes a three-day orientation for first-year and transfer students.
- Members gather weekly for workshops and receive guidance that promotes academic success, including academic counseling.
- Through faculty, staff and peer interaction, the program also offers opportunities to engage for growth and success beyond graduation.
A Celebration of Heritage
- Opportunities to attend conferences and to remain connected to Native American culture and history.
- A Native Identity Series is offered each year, culminating in a spring trip to museums, Native communities or historical sites. Past trips have included visits to the Ganondagan State Historical Site in Victor, New York; the Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community in Fonda, New York; and the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C.
History of the Native Student Program
As assistant director of Multicultural Affairs, Regina Jones leads the Native Student Program. To learn more, please email Bailey Tlachac or call 315.443.0258. Explore the Meet the Staff webpage to learn more about Bailey Tlachac, Graduate Coordinator and Multicultural Affairs team.
Native Student Program Location
113 Euclid Ave., Syracuse, NY 13244