Safe Zone is a campus-wide program provided by the LGBTQ Resource Center committed to making Syracuse University safer, more welcoming, and an inclusive environment for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) community. While recognizing that the name of our workshop is a misnomer, the Safe Zone program aims to build a network of students, staff, faculty and community members, who are visibly and actively committed to advocating for and creating spaces of respect and inclusion for LGBTQ+ members of our community at Syracuse University.
After completing this two hour workshop, participants will be able to:
- Use gender-inclusive pronouns.
- Define key terms and identities relating to the LGBTQ+ communities.
- Understand how privilege and oppression create barriers for LGBTQ+ inclusivity on campus and in our communities at large.
- Recognize the ways we can create a positive campus climate for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff as allies and advocates.
- Identify the resources available at Syracuse University and the larger Syracuse community.
Safe Zone dates and times for the Spring 2022 semester are as follows:
- Thursday, Jan. 27, 1-3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 23, 10 a.m.-Noon
- Tuesday, March 29, 3-5 p.m.
- Monday, April 25, 2-4 p.m.
All sessions will be virtual. To register, please fill out the Safe Zone Registration form.
To request a training for your group or department, please email the LGBTQ Resource Center.