Off-Campus Employment

If you receive authorization for off-campus work (e.g. OPT Authorization with an EAD Card, CPT Work Authorization or Academic Training Authorization), an I-9 must be completed with your employer within three days of the start of your new employment. Your employer should provide you with additional instructions and all inquiries about the process should be directed to your employer.

Applying for Employment Under Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship is an immigration term that refers to a specific definition for the need to work. For the F-1 and J-1 student the meaning of this term includes such criteria as: “a severe and unforeseen circumstance” which results in a demonstrated need for employment.

For example, such circumstance could be a devaluation of your home county currency (usually more than 25%) against the U.S. dollar. As a result you would have to show that your family or government was sponsoring you and that an insufficient amount of funding was being sent to you. In addition, there are certain time related issues for eligibility.

Appointment Only

Since the process for F-1 and J-1 obtaining employment under Economic Hardship is treated differently, you will need to make an appointment with a Center for International Services advisor. This personal advising session will enable the advisor to fully discuss your needs and eligibility for this type of employment.