As an international student, you may want to gain some work experience while you are in the U.S. or earn some income while you are in school. In this section, you will find information on the rules and regulations of on-campus employment, including information about social security numbers, Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Cap-Gap Extension and options available to students in J-1 status.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is employment on the Syracuse University campus that is paid by Syracuse University.

Off-Campus Employment

Off-campus employment authorization is available to students who can document an unforeseen change in financial circumstances creating economic hardship.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) – F-1

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is authorization for “training” that is required or an elective (e.g. Internship, Field Experience, Practicum, etc.) in your academic curriculum.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) – F-1

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is authorization for “training” before or after completion of your degree in a position directly related to your program of study, but is not a part of your academic curriculum.

Cap-Gap Extension

Cap-Gap Extension is an extension of OPT to cover the gap between the OPT end date of a beneficiary of a petition and application for change of status to H-1B and the start of H-1B status on Oct. 1.

STEM Extension

The STEM extension of OPT is a 24-month extension of OPT for F-1 students who earn a degree in designated STEM fields and secure employment with employers that satisfy a number of criteria.

J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) is employment authorization for students in J-1 status to obtain practical experience in their field of study.

J-2 Dependent Employment Authorization

Employment authorization available to J-2 dependents of J-1 exchange visitors.