Greek Dues/Housing FAQ

Greek Dues/Housing  Frequently Asked Questions

Fraternities/sororities are NOT funded by the University.  Each chapter is self-supported through dues charged to all members.  In the first semester of membership, depending on the chapter, new members are assessed a number of one-time fees.  The typical new member will need between $100 – $3000, depending on the chapter, for their first semester of membership.  After the initial +*fees are paid, you can expect to pay an average of $200 – $2000 per semester in dues/fees/activities expenses (NOTE: these are averages only).  We highly recommend that you ask each chapter about their financial requirements so you have specific information when making your membership decisions. (Some of the exact costs can be found on the profile section of the chapters on the Council and Chapters Page.)

Fraternities and sororities are NOT funded by the University and therefore your student will have financial responsibilities with joining a fraternity or sorority. In most organizations, there is a one-time new member/initiation fee as well as semester membership dues.  Dues are used to fund community service and philanthropic projects, social events, parent and alumni events, insurance and national fees as well as general chapter expenses, and allows the (inter)national headquarters to provide resources and other support to the chapter. Each chapter has a different dues structure and therefore finances will vary between chapters. Some chapters provide scholarships, assistance, and payment plans for members needing special consideration. 

Dues are an important factor when determining if joining a fraternity or sorority is right for you. Students are encouraged to ask questions with their respective chapter representative during recruitment/intake for more details.

Fraternity and Sorority Affairs and the University have no responsibility or oversight regarding any financial obligations of membership.  Please contact chapters directly regarding specific dues or billing questions.  

Housing arrangements and requirements for each fraternity and sorority differ by organization. The university is not involved with live-in requirements, as it does not own the houses where the members reside. The organizations' housing corporations or alumni associations take care of filling the house.

Although many chapter members may live together, either on or off-campus, these accommodations are not sanctioned by the University. Students must have two semesters of on-campus housing, or sophomore standing before they are eligible to move into a chapter house. If eligible, second-year fraternity and sorority members may live in their respective houses in place of the second-year on-campus residency requirement. The cost of living in the houses varies from chapter to chapter.

Fraternity/sorority housing is privately run.  The properties are owned and run by a house corporation OR leased and run by a house corporation.  NONE of the fraternity/sorority houses are owned or operated by Syracuse University.

A House Association or House Corporation (an arm of the organization) is responsible for the execution of leases, the collection of rent, and/or the administration of any policies regarding the need for members to live in the chapter’s facility.  You should expect to obtain a copy of the lease before your son/daughter signs it, you should expect to be able to have questions answered by the House Corporation President (an adult advisor in charge of the property) and you should understand the conduct or situations that might give the organization cause to break that lease with your student.  The lease your son/daughter signs is a legal document and they will be expected to honor all provisions outlined in the lease, including the payment of rent in a timely manner. 

Your student can receive contact information from the chapter’s president.