Case managers may provide additional support to students transitioning back to the University after time away due to personal or medical leave of absences, as well as conduct or academic suspensions.

Those looking for support with the readmission process should contact Student Outreach and Support to speak with a case manager.

Important to Note

If your medical leave was related to physical or mental health concerns, additional information about the readmission process, including required documentation, can be found on the Barnes Center at The Arch website.