We look forward to welcoming you on campus for SummerStart 2023! As you prepare to begin your Becoming Orange journey, please review the following important information about required tasks, course selection, placement exams, preparing to arrive, move-in and orientation, policies and additional resources.
- Immediate Action: Setup NetID, Password, and your Syracuse University Email Account
- Due June 15 - Provide Proof of Vaccination for: COVID+booster, MMR, and Men A using the Patient Portal This must be complete in order to move into the residence hall and participate in the program.
- Due June 15 - Submit your photo to SU I.D. Card Services. Your SU I.D. card will serve as your official University identification and will give you access to residence halls, dining centers, snack operations, athletic facilities, library privileges, vending machines, Stadium and Box Office events. (Your SU I.D. will be waiting for you at Ernie Davis Residence Hall upon check-in.)
- Due August 1 - Complete Community Wellness Requirement: Three EVERFI Training Modules. Instructions are located on the Community Wellness Requirements webpage.
Visit the New Student and Family Programs website for a complete list of all required tasks for incoming students.
- Due May 30th - Register to take ELAE exam to be considered for admission to SummerStart. More details can be found under the program eligibility section.
- Due ASAP- You should apply for your F-1 visa using the I-20 you received for the Fall semester.
- Due ASAP, if you are offered admission to SummerStart- Email proof of sufficient funds to cover the costs of the SummerStart program and the Fall and Spring semesters which totals to $92,426 to email@example.com. Center for International Services will send you a new I-20 for the summer. The new I-20 will have the same SEVIS ID number as the Fall 2022 I-20 and you will be able to use it to enter the U.S. to begin your studies at Syracuse University on July 2, 2022.
- Due Upon Arrival in the U.S.- Check-in steps 1 to 3 for Center for International Services.
- Due ON July 5th- Visit the Center for International Services, 310 Walnut Place, between 8:30am-4:00pm, in-person to complete check-in. Please bring your passport and printout of your I-94.
Visit the Center for International Services website for a complete list of Fall pre-arrival information.
Optional International Student Success CATAPULT Program-
CATAPULT aims to help upcoming international students successfully transition to Syracuse University. The program has three objectives:
- Establish trust and connection with students (and parents)
- Facilitate communication among new students and parents
- Provide preparatory instruments (written materials, videos, online workshops) to facilitate academic transition
CATAPULT is available to new students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell School. If you are enrolled in another school/college at Syracuse University, please email Dr. Ling LeBeau to request access.
Through the SummerStart program, you will take foundational courses that help complete required coursework early and classes tailored to your program and interests. You will receive personalized attention from faculty in a small and supportive classroom setting.
The course sections are open to SummerStart participants only. However, students, in consultation with their college advisors, may select an alternative course from the University curriculum.
Once registered for courses, you can purchase textbooks and course materials through the Syracuse University Campus Store.
To ensure proper course selections, all SummerStart students must complete placement exams. Your prompt completion will ensure your enrollment in the appropriate course(s). For students in the music, art, drama, or transmedia programs of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, the mathematics test is optional.
Placement exams are given under the honor system. Note that these assessments are for placement purposes only, with no impact on your course grades. They should accurately reflect your skill level in order to assure your placement in the course.
Math Placement Exam
- Due: June 15th
The math placement exam is available via MySlice.
English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE)
- Due: May 30th Non-native speakers of English must register to take the ELAE on June 2nd, 2022 to be considered for admission to the SummerStart program. More information can be found under the program eligibility section.
Wondering what you should bring to campus? Please refer to the What to Bring, What Not to Bring Move-in Checklist. For your time during SummerStart, please also remember to bring dress attire or business casual attire for SummerStart banquet on Friday, August 4, 2023.
Transportation to the University is available via taxi/Uber/Lyft from the airport, train and bus stations. The cost is approximately $50 and the travel time takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Move-in is scheduled for Saturday, July 1, 2023. Students should be moved in by 5 p.m.
- Orientation will take place Saturday, July 1, 2023 and Sunday, July 2, 2023.
Additional information and a full schedule will be available soon.
Check the SummerStart Schedule webpage often for important event information and updates.
As part of the SummerStart program to promote student success, we have researched many resources that are available both on the Syracuse University campus and on the web. Students will find these resources helpful in navigating the roadblocks that can occur when transitioning from high school to college study. We highly recommend checking out the following links.
- 119 Euclid Ave.
- Banking Information
- Barnes Center at The Arch
- Campus Map
- Campus Store
- Career Services
- Center for Disability Resources (CDR)
- Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising
- Center for International Services
- Center for Learning & Student Success (CLASS)
- Community Folk Art Center
- Community Standards
- Connective Corridor
- ‘CuseWorks - Student Employment
- Student Outreach and Retention
- Degree Works
- Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Disability Cultural Center
- Hendricks Chapel
- Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services
- Information Technology Services (ITS)
- La Casita Cultural Center
- LGBTQ Resource Center
- Financial Literacy
- Math Clinics & Calculus Help Center
- Multicultural Affairs (OMA)
- Office of the Bursar
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Financial Aid & Scholarship Programs
- Student Living
- Orange Success
- Physics Clinic
- Shaw Center
- Student Activities
- Syracuse Abroad
- SU Libraries
- Writing Center
“SummerStart is a place that I hold dear to my heart. You’d be surprised by how living in a dorm with 12 other people only minutes away from your door can help with building relationships. On my first day moving into my dorm the girl next door to me had never used a laundry machine before and decided to ask me for help. That was the first-ever friend I made in college. Six years later, as an iSchool graduate student, we’re still good friends. Thanks, SummerStart!”