A variety of resources have been organized to help build unique Becoming Orange journeys and to host successful transitions to Syracuse University. It is encouraged to complete required tasks as soon as possible. For additional information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact New Student Programs.
The ease at which you can unload your car should help you determine what to pack. Students should bring only the essentials.
- Floor pillows/backrest
- Mattress topper
- Slippers/house shoes
- Extra-long twin sheets
- Cell phone and charger(s)
- Desk lamp and light bulbs (no halogen)
- UL-listed grounded power strip with built-in fuse or circuit breaker
- Wastebasket and trash bags
- Laundry detergent
- Laundry basket
- Personal hygiene items
- Shower caddy/bucket
- Shower shoes/sandals
- Face masks
- Business casual and professional clothing (i.e. button-down shirts, pantsuits, dress pants, dress shoes, suit, polo shirts, etc.)
- Heavy winter coat
- Boots (rain/snow)
- Gloves, hat, earmuffs
- Closet hangers
- Coaxial cable for TV connection
- Plastic storage towers with drawers
We encourage you to plan with your roommate regarding the items below:
- Refrigerator (less than five cubic feet)
- Microwave (less than 1,000 watts)
- Video game systems
- High-heat appliances (i.e. irons, coffee makers, hot-air popcorn makers and other small devices, including single-serve coffee makers, are all permitted provided they are UL-approved and used in the manner intended)
- Large appliances, including air conditioners (only refrigerators less than five cubic feet and microwaves less than 1,000 watts are permitted)
- Cooking appliances: ovens, hotplates, toasters, toaster ovens, crockpots, grills (including “George Foreman-type” grills) and other similar devices
- Space heaters
- Candles, incense, etc.
- Wall-mounted TVs (only free-standing TVs are permitted)
- Firearms, weapons and fireworks
- ALL general-purpose extension cords (even UL-approved; only UL-listed grounded power strips with built-in fuse circuit breaker are permitted)
- Halogen lamps and multi-head floor lamps
- Large pieces of furniture
- Expensive or irreplaceable collectibles or jewelry
For your convenience, you may wish to establish a personal bank account with a local bank prior to your arrival on campus. Information concerning types of accounts available, minimum deposits and required identification to open the accounts are available from each bank. For more information, please visit the Treasurer's Office website.
Please note, local banks will not cash personal checks unless you have an account with them. Therefore, you will want to plan ahead and establish an account to have access to funds via an automated teller machine (ATM).
'CuseTech, hosted in the Syracuse University Campus Store, is your campus technology center offering education-priced Apple products such as Macbooks and iPads, Dell PCs, gaming systems, computer accessories and more. Additionally, the Campus Store offers special offer trade-in programs and extended warranties covering accidental damage and liquid spills.
Syracuse University seeks to promote equal access to educational opportunities for all students. Incoming students who believe they have a current and essential need for disability-related accommodations and resources should complete the Syracuse University Disability Resources Registration Form.
Students are encouraged to visit the 'Cuse Athletic Fund ('CAF) Student Season Pass webpage for updated information and to purchase season tickets for football and men's basketball.
In addition to registering for Orange Alert, Syracuse University’s crisis alert notification system, the University offers the Orange Safe mobile safety app.
Using the Orange Safe app, users can stay connected and receive important campus notifications, communicate with campus safety and gain access to resources needed most. Visit the Orange Safe App webpage to learn more.
- Quickly Access Emergency Resources
- Safe Walk Feature
- On Campus BlueLight
- Tip Reporting
- Social Escape
- Links to Critical Resources
Please visit the Department of Public Safety (DPS) website for helpful advice on personal safety, crime prevention, statistics, campus alerts and DPS events. For more information or questions, please call 315.443.2224 or email DPS.
Students are invited to participate in the Syracuse University Campus Store MicroFridge Rental Program. Reservations may be made through the Campus Store during the summer.
Organize your finances for college and beyond by partnering with a Syracuse Smart Money Coach to create your Orange Budget. Begin your financial journey by scheduling an appointment in Orange Success.
For additional information, please visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs website, call 315.443.1513 or email the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs.
- First-year residential students are not eligible and must petition to request a permit.
- First-year commuter students are eligible to purchase a permit by completing the Student Parking Permit Application.
- New transfer students, using their NetID and password, may purchase a permit on MySlice by selecting “Parking Services."
The Campus Store provides convenient online ordering of textbooks through its partnership with eCampus.
- Visit the Syracuse University Campus Store website.
- Shop by schedule by entering your NetID and password, or shop by course by entering the term, department, course number and section number for each course.
- Choose new, used, rental or digital versions of your needed textbooks as offered for each title.
- Select free in-store pick-up at the Campus Store or have your order shipped to your home or on-campus residence (shipping charges may apply). Allow 2-3 business days for your order to arrive.
- Choose your payment method from Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover, PayPal or 'Cuse Cash.
- No New York State Sales Tax is applied to orders for required textbooks delivered within New York State.
- For additional information or questions, call 315.443.9900 or email the Campus Store.
Syracuse University students have the opportunity to update their personal information, such as their preferred name and personal pronouns, within MySlice. (You will need your NetID and password.)
This is an optional task that students may update throughout their time at Syracuse University. For additional information, please visit the Pronouns Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage and the Preferred Name Type Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage.