Community Standards is continuing with a pilot program whereby students on a status of Disciplinary Probation for the remainder of the academic career can petition to have the status changes to a time-defined end date. The details of this opportunity can be found below.
If you are on a status of Disciplinary Probation for the remainder of your academic career (DP – AC), you may petition Community Standards for a time reduction of your status under the following circumstances:
- Your status of DP – AC has to have been in effect for at least 18 months.
- You may only submit one petition for a time reduction of your DP – AC status. If your petition is denied, no further petitions or appeals will be accepted.
- You must not have been found responsible for violating the Code of Student Conduct nor been placed on a status of interim suspension and/or indefinite suspension from Syracuse University since your DP – AC went into effect.
If you are returning from indefinite suspension and have been placed on DP – AC as a condition of your clearance to return to Syracuse University, you may submit a petition as outlined below provided that you were not on a status of DP – AC prior to your indefinite suspension.
How to Start: Contact Community Standards to review the petition process. Identify a faculty or staff member at Syracuse University with whom you can meet every two weeks in a mentoring relationship for at least the full semester prior to when you submit your petition. During your meetings, you will discuss your goals, ambitions, successes, and challenges. At the conclusion of your mentoring relationship, your mentor will submit a letter of support to OCS.
Petition Process: Your petition must demonstrate your good citizenship during your time as a student at Syracuse University since your DP – AC status was placed into effect. This petition must be in writing, or another tangible medium, and include all required components.
Petition Submissions: Petitions may be submitted to OCS online. Special projects that cannot be uploaded may be dropped off at OSRR in 804 University Avenue, Suite 106, Syracuse, NY 13244.
You may submit a petition for a time reduction of your status of Disciplinary Probation for the remainder of your academic career provided you meet the above eligibility requirements. Your petition must demonstrate your good citizenship during your time as a student at Syracuse University since the status was placed into effect. This petition must be in writing, or another tangible medium, and include all of the following:
- A reflection project in which you detail what you have learned since being placed on DP – AC, discuss the ways in which reducing the time you are on DP – AC will impact your future personal, academic, and career goals, describe your involvement at Syracuse University, including academic commitments and co-curricular involvement since your status went into effect, articulate the specific ways you have and intend to continue to contribute to a positive community at Syracuse University and discuss your plan to abide by Code of Student Conduct for the remainder of your academic career. This project may be completed as an essay, PowerPoint, video/film, article, etc. Please feel free to submit this project in a manner consistent with your skills and/or interests.
- An acknowledgment that any violation of the Code of Student Conduct following a successful petition for a reduction of your Disciplinary Probation – AC may result in being placed back on a status of Disciplinary – AC (without the ability to petition for a reduction), indefinite suspension, or expulsion.
- A current resume.
- A description of your substantial, quality involvement within the Syracuse University community. This could include but is not limited to, the following: the development of a new registered student organization; significant on-going contributions to a registered student organization; demonstration of an on-going relationship with a Syracuse-area agency whereby you provided continual community service over an extended period of time. You must provide examples of your accomplishments in the involvement examples. If your involvement focuses on your work with a registered student organization, you must provide letters of support from the organization’s advisor and student members that describe your contributions to the organization and the Syracuse University community. If your involvement includes significant, on-going community service, you must provide at least two letters of support from individuals connected to the service agency who can describe your contributions and service work.
- A letter of support from your DP – AC Mentor in which they address the following:
- Reflects on your maturity, readiness to contribute to Syracuse University in a positive manner;
- Describes your mentor’s understanding of your plan to persist to graduation;
- Describes how often your meetings occurred.
- Discusses areas of growth or positive change noticed in you since the mentoring relationship began;
- Discusses areas of concern regarding your continuance in this process.
- At least two (2) character references from individuals who will be able to attest to your good citizenship, maturity and positive contributions to Syracuse University since your status of Disciplinary Probation for the remainder of their academic career went into effect. These references must be in writing and may only be submitted by faculty or staff from Syracuse University or SUNY ESF.
Contact OCS at 315.443.3728 or at email@example.com.