Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid that provides part-time jobs to students, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses.  Federal Work-Study encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study. Federal Work-Study jobs are also part of our ’Cuse Works initiative, providing students with hands-on experience to advance their personal and professional success.

Hiring Federal Work-Study Students FAQs

Log into the Syracuse University Federal Work-Study Awards screen in PeopleSoft, enter the student’s SUID and the current fiscal/award year.  This will provide you with their total award and their remaining balance.

The current rate is 60/40, meaning your department is responsible for 40% of the student’s earnings.

The student’s FWS Award represents the total amount the student may earn in a particular year.  For example, if they have a $3,200 award, that is the total amount they can earn under Federal Work-Study.  Your department would be responsible for up to $1,280 of their earnings.

Pending further arrangements, FWS students who reach their maximum award limit must stop working immediately. However, if the employer wishes to continue employing the student, they may do so, but will assume 100% of the payroll expense.

Yes, please refer them to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs. They will be able to determine their eligibility for more aid.

Yes, when posting the job, please indicate if you are hiring Federal Work-Study, non-Federal Work-Study or both.

Employers of FWS students should try when possible to assign weekly work hours that will allow a student to maximize their FWS allocation. Although a student is not obligated to earn the entire award, many rely on FWS earnings to meet educational costs. FWS students generally work an average of 10 to 20 hours per week, depending on course load and class schedule. Under no circumstances may FWS students work over 8 hours in one day or over 40 hours in a seven-day week. This includes work during holidays, vacations, or semester breaks.

Off-Campus Employer Information

  • Non-profit agencies and organizations as defined by state or federal law
  • Public agencies, including municipal agencies or county offices, state government agencies and federal departments (other than U.S. Department of Education)

  • Agencies must provide a federal ID number proving non-profit status
  • Agencies must be accessible to the entire community
  • Agencies must be the paymaster
  • Student wages must be paid from sources other than federal monies

  • Positions in non- or not-for-profit organizations that have limits or restrictions (religious or otherwise)
  • Political aide positions
  • Federal, state, or local lobbying positions