If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency or you are in immediate danger, call 911.
Living off-campus means an increased responsibility for personal safety. Helpful tips for experiencing off-campus living spaces are shared below. For additional information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Off-Campus Student Living team.
Off-Campus Neighbor Concern Report
Please note, this form is not for emergency response use. All members of the campus and surrounding communities may file a report. When filing, please include detailed information in addition to available photos or videos. Reports may include concerns of trash/recyclables, prohibited parking, not shoveling snow, community disturbances (e.g. noise, party, etc.) and other general community concerns. Reports are reviewed regularly.
Report an Off-Campus Neighbor Concern
Personal and Property Safety
- Explore the Department of Public Safety Strategies webpage.
- Learn more about and download the free Orange Safe mobile app.
- Utilize the safety escort services and campus shuttles.
- Call 315.448.2489 to report non-working streetlights to the City of Syracuse.
- When returning or at home:
- do not open the door for strangers;
- if someone tells you they work for a local company, call the company to verify identities of individuals prior to further interaction;
- if a previously closed window/door is now open, do not enter and call 911;
- do not leave belongings in public view or unattended.
In Case of Fire
- Leave immediately. Call 911 to report a fire.
- Do not:
- try to take items;
- use elevators;
- open doors that are hot and/or smoking;
- leave doors open behind you;
- try to fight the fire.
- Avoid breathing deeply in a smoke-filled room. If possible, cover nose and mouth with a cloth (or cold wet cloth), drop to the floor and crawl to an exit. Stay low for better air quality.
- If trapped and unable to reach a fire exit, do not panic and:
- close the door, seal any cracks with wet towels and call 911;
- shine a flashlight through a window or open a window slightly to hang a sheet to attract attention (if opened, be prepared to close quickly as fresh oxygen can fuel the fire);
- wait for help.
Required Fire Detection Devices
The New York State Fire Code and City of Syracuse Property Code require that smoke detectors (certified by a nationally recognized fire testing laboratory) must be installed in all common areas, including basements, in combination with other required alarm systems. Detectors must also be installed both inside and outside each sleeping area. It is the landlord’s responsibility to install these devices, but the tenant must make sure the devices are in place and tested monthly. New York State and the City of Syracuse also require each property to have at least one functioning carbon monoxide detector on the lowest level of the house with a bedroom. More information on smoke detector requirements can be found on the City of Syracuse Ordinance webpage. The requirement for carbon monoxide detectors is based on New York State law (Amanda’s Law).
Additional Fire Safety Tips
- Ensure smoke detectors are in working condition.
- Never ignore a fire alarm and evacuate immediately.
- Know where fire exits are and have an escape plan.
- Use a surge protector for multiple appliances and do not overload electrical outlets.
- Take care when burning candles/incense and never leave unattended (e.g. keep away from flammable objects, prevent falling, extinguish before leaving the room).
- Never leave food unattended in/on the stove/oven or microwave.
- Turn off the stove/oven before leaving.
- Extinguish all smoking materials.
- Use a sturdy non-tipping ashtray.
- Keep fire exits and escape plan routes clean.
- Keep flammable materials at least three feet away from water heaters, furnaces and other flame sources.
- Know that grills must be placed at least 10 feet from a structure (20 feet is recommended), and use of any open-flame device (e.g. grills) is prohibited on porches and overhangs.
- Do not store gasoline, lighter fluid, etc. in rental units.
- Read instructions of how to properly use portable heaters.
- Clean the dryer lint filter between each use.
- Use the correct light bulb wattage in light fixtures.
- Never hang items from sprinkler systems.
Additional information is available on the New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services Fire Safety and Prevention website.
Examples of toxic substances to be aware of within rental units and helpful resources are shared below. If it is believed that toxic substances are present in a rental unit, it is important to contact the landlord as soon as possible. Additional information is available on the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Health Topics website.
Carbon Monoxide (CO)
CO is a colorless, odorless, dangerous gas that has the potential to be deadly within minutes when inhaled at high levels. CO is produced when wood, oil, gas or charcoal is burned. It is important to understand the dangers of CO poisoning and how to stay safe. Learn more on the EPA Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning webpage.
Homes typically built pre-1978 often used lead-based paint. If not properly managed, the presence of lead within a home can be dangerous. It is important to understand the dangers of lead poisoning and how to stay safe. Learn more on the EPA Lead website.
While the elimination of all mold and mold spores is not possible, the presence of a significant amount of mold indoors can pose potential health problems. If you believe that you have a mold issue in your leased property, it is important that you contact your landlord or property manager to have it checked. Learn more on the EPA Mold website.