The following outdoor spaces are available for a variety of reservation types, including events, lawn signs and chalking. To make a reservation, please complete the Quad Event request form.
The Kenneth A. Shaw Quadrangle, the "Quad," is defined as the grassy area bounded by sidewalks, surrounded by Hendricks Chapel, Link Hall, Carnegie Library, Hinds Hall and Huntington Beard Crouse Hall.
Student Engagement has established the following space reservation guidelines for the Quad:
- May be reserved for events, classes, tabling, chalking and lawn signs.
- Individual University members who utilize the Quad to exercise free speech absent participants, should refer to the Syracuse University Student Handbook for review of the Campus Disruption Policy and the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities, specifically Assembly and Protest.
- The sponsoring group and participants are bound by applicable University policies, local and state ordinances, and the Code of Student Conduct.
- Requests must be submitted a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to the proposed event.
- Student Engagement reserves the right to refuse any request.
- The proposed event (including setup and breakdown) must NOT conflict with scheduled classes or academic programs, or previously scheduled events. For events that are permitted during these times, no amplified sound devices are permitted.
- A proposed event must not present a safety risk or hazard to the participants, to others using the Quad or adjacent space, or to underground utilities. The degree of risk and staffing requirements for all proposed events shall be determined by Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety, Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance Services, and/or Physical Plant. Each department will determine necessary staffing for a respective Quad event.
- Recognized student organizations and/or administrative and academic departments may be approved for a maximum of three (3) event requests per semester. An approved event will be defined as any activity that operates between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. or any fractional period therein. Events approved to continue beyond 9 p.m. will be considered a continuous event and must be completed within a forty-eight (48) hour period of the requested event start time.
- Commercial or non-University vendors hired by the event sponsor shall, at their or the events sponsor’s expense, provide to the University Risk Management Department and subject to Risk Management’s approval, satisfactory evidence of insurance at least ten (10) business days prior to the event.
- All costs related to the event (including but not limited to; security, Physical Plant, etc.), are the responsibility of the sponsor. Sponsors scheduling events on the Quad are responsible for returning to the University’s satisfaction the Quad space to the condition that it was found. This includes the removal of fliers, equipment, and debris related to the event.
- Petitions to request exceptions to the above guidelines must be submitted to Student Engagement at least twenty-one (21) business days prior to the proposed event.
- Syracuse University reserves the right to cancel any event or activity if, at any time before or during an event, it is determined that a sponsoring group or participants have breached or misrepresented conditions set forth in these guidelines. The sponsoring group or participants may then be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
Chalking is permitted on the Kenneth A. Shaw Quadrangle on the non-brick sidewalks. Chalking is not permitted in the Orange Grove.
Reservations for chalking the Quad require registered student organizations and University departments to use water soluble chalk.
Specific rules apply to chalking the Quad. Please refer to the Campus Posting Policy for more details.
Einhorn Family Walk
The Einhorn Family Walk is located in front of Schine Student Center. This space may be used for lawn signs, tabling, sponsored runs, walks or rolls, and occasional events.
No event or use may block the Einhorn Family Walk at any time. It is an emergency roadway and must be kept clear at all times.
Grassy Knoll Lawn Signs
The two areas of grass between the Schine Student Center and Newhouse School are considered the Grassy Knoll. This space may be reserved for lawn signs.
Lawn sign reservations can be made for the Quad, Einhorn Family Walk and Grassy Knoll. The reservations may be made in non-consecutive, one-week blocks (Monday – Sunday).
Registered Student Organizations or University departments may not make reservations on behalf of any other formal or informal group, club or company; nor, may reservations be made for purposes not consistent with the purposes and constitution of the reserving organization or department.
Lawn Sign Policies and Procedures
The purpose of lawn signs along the Quad and Einhorn Family Walk walkways or on the Grassy Knoll are to display or promote meetings, registered student organization membership, or campus events. Syracuse University departments may display lawn signs that promote the resources and events they offer to students, faculty and staff.
As such, the following are requirements regarding lawn signs:
- Student Engagement does not provide stakes or signs for the reservation; sponsoring organizations must provide.
- Placement for the lawn signs are based on the email confirmation you received and are to be located:
- On the Quad, signs should be placed on the lawn close to the sidewalks as possible. Signs are not permitted under any of the tents on the Quad.
- On the Einhorn Family Walk, signs should be placed on lawn areas close to the sidewalks. Signs are not permitted in any flower beds or flower pots.
- On the Grassy Knoll, your email confirmation will specify the upper or lower grassy knoll. Signs should be placed in the grassy area located between the Schine Student Center and Newhouse School. The upper knoll is on the portion closest to the Einhorn Family Walk and the lower knoll portion is closest to Waverly Ave.
- Signs already placed on the Quad, Einhorn Family Walk and Grassy Knoll are to be left in place.
- When placing lawn signs, please be respectful of classes, meetings or events occurring in the surrounding area.
- The lawn signs must be removed by the end of the day on the last date of the reservation.
- All Registered Student Organization lawn signs must be approved through Student Engagement prior to the reservation dates.
- The Registered Student Organization’s name, as it appears in ‘Cuse Activities, or the department’s name must be clearly displayed on the lawn sign.
- If promoting a meeting or event, the date and time must be clearly displayed on the lawn sign.
- The content of the lawn sign must adhere to the Campus Posting Policy.
- If a lawn sign falls apart, comes loose or falls over it will be removed.
- Student Engagement is not responsible for stolen or damaged lawn signs.
- Student Engagement has the right to deny space for lawn signs.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines will result in the loss of lawn sign privileges for the semester.