Student Outreach and Retention (SOaR) Emergency Aid
SOaR emergency aid may be able to support enrolled Syracuse University students with one-time financial assistance offering, up to $500, in the event of a personal crisis that includes an unexpected, unforeseen, and/or unavoidable emergency expense.
Possible Expenses Covered by the Emergency Aid
This following list offers some examples of possible expenses covered by emergency aid. If the reason you are seeking funds is not listed below, that does not mean it won’t be considered. A case manager will fully evaluate your situation and determine how we can best help:
- Emergency medical care
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Basic needs due to loss from fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Emergency travel
Expenses Not Covered
Expenses that are NOT covered by emergency aid include, but not limited to:
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Pet, Emotional Support Animal, or Service Animal Care
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs.
- Regularly anticipated fixed expenses (i.e. rent)
- Parking tickets
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Other anticipated expenses
The emergency aid is administered by Student Outreach and Retention (SOaR). If you have any questions or would like to refer a student, please complete our online referral form.